Friday, July 16, 2010

Local Documentary Screening Tomorrow

A locally-produced documentary film, The Last One, will be shown in Smithfield, N.C., tomorrow at 7 p.m.  My friend Sally sent me an email with all of the details posted on WTSB Radio's website here (scroll down to the second item on the page).  Here are the important details about the event:

The Downtown Smithfield Development Corporation and Orchard House Booksellers will present The Last One, a locally produced documentary film featuring moonshiner Popcorn Sutton, on Saturday, July 17 as a part of the monthly showings of independent films and documentaries in Downtown Smithfield. The film will be shown at Orchard House Booksellers, located at 117 North Third Street in Downtown Smithfield. The documentary starts at 7:00pm and is free to the public. Raleigh filmmaker Neal Hutcheson will be on hand to discuss the film and answer questions.
The Independent Weekly posted a write up about Neal Hutcheson in 2003 with some additional information about The Last One.  I liked reading this article because it provides some information about Hutcheson, his background, and how he works on the films he produces.  What stuck with me most is Hutcheson's comments on editing, something that pains me daily right now:

Many filmmakers enjoy the editing process, but Hutcheson won't go that far. "I'll go in at 8 p.m. and come out at 4 or 5 in the morning. Every other day I do enjoy it, when things start to click," he says in a recent telephone interview. "But the majority is incredible tedium, punctuated by moments of elation—the ecstatic moments that make it all worthwhile."
Couldn't agree with you more, Mr. Hutcheson.  I wish I could make it to the screening tomorrow to see it and congratulate you in person. 

Y'all go out and support a local filmmaker tomorrow since I can't be there, mk?

No comments: