Thursday, January 14, 2010

Leadership

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
- General George S. Patton, Jr.
Our team has been growing at a steady rate, with family and friends willing to lend a hand to this project unselfishly. It has challenged me in learning to express my vision. The ideas are something I've had locked away in my head for nearly two years, so finally putting it out there for a team to understand has been a welcomed challenge. These past three months have taught me a great deal.

Leadership is something with which I've been fascinated for a lifetime. How does one emerge as a leader? Or get elected? While they lead, what makes them succeed? Fail? How does a leader redeem himself after failing?

Working on this film has stretched, humbled and empowered me in so many ways. Recently, with the growth of our team, I find myself dusting off those leadership skills I kept tucked away since they weren't really needed. The amount of leadership training I've had is rather comical, but I was in a position that quieted those lessons for a period of time. Regaining ones confidence as a leader can take a bit of time.

When one of our team members gave me critical feedback this week, it woke me up a little bit and helped me realize that I have to step up the leadership even more. Enabling and protecting those whom work with you is key as a leader. There's mutual respect for one another, the buzzword being synergy.

The opportunity to lead others is a humbling experience. There are many good quotes about it, one of my favorite is, "The greatest among ye shall be the servant of all." It makes you realize that the pyramid is inverted, with the leader enabling others to do what they do best. I hope that I may be so lucky to lead others well.

2 comments:

Lisa Sullivan said...

I am so honored to be a part of "the team" on this. Your entire vision is amazing and I'm so glad that I have enough expertise to help you realize it. Thank you for this opportunity!

As for your leadership skills, oh don't question yourself. Just keep doing what you're doing. You've pulled this wonderful team together. As it gets closer to fruition, it will ALL come together because of your leadership. It's all good!

God Bless ya, You visionary you!

Camden Watts said...

So happy to have you on the team, too, Lisa! I am so excited about what's taking shape this year, and am so grateful to all the folks helping. :)