Friday, September 28, 2012

I'm No Expert

Speaking to a group of NCSU students--most
likely saying, "I don't really know."
We've shared Abandoned Allies a number of times now. During the conversations that follow screenings of the film, I get plenty of really great questions. More often than not, I don't have the answers.

Ironic, isn't it? 

Here I stand in front of a crowd, years after of studying this stuff, mic in my hand--and I have no answers to share. It's a tough spot to be in, since I'm supposed to know some answers. But the truth is: I just don't. 

I'm getting more comfortable with saying, "I don't know; I'm not the expert." I'll never be the expert because I'm just the kid that made the film. I interviewed people who know much more. I've spent time with them and learned a lot in the process--but not enough. 

I've learned, what I think, is barely enough. I've only scratched the surface of a very complex subject that covers decades of history in more than one country. If anything, I wish I had more time, resources, and opportunities to keep studying it. To keep documenting these wonderful, fascinating people--and the love and respect they feel for one another. There are so many beautiful stories here, and it pains me to know that I can't share them all with you.

So, during these Q&As, when I tell you that I don't know the answer to your question, please understand that it's not from lack of trying. I'm learning and sharing what I do know. I'm so glad you asked me a question, and I hope someone can answer it for all of us.

Keep asking, y'all. I'll keep seeking the truth. 

No comments: