Monday, April 23, 2012

Cutting the Trailer

Abandoned Allies trailer coming soon!
Last weekend I cut a trailer for Abandoned Allies. It's amazing how many hours it takes just to put together two minutes of edited footage--how quickly I had forgotten.

Cutting a trailer is incredibly difficult. Especially after spending four years cutting 50+ hours of footage down to 60 minutes. To cutting that 60 minutes down to one or two minutes? Whoa.

Not only that, you have to make that minute intriguing and exciting--without giving away the entire film. Raise questions and hint at answers, making people want a chance to see the full length film.

No doubt. It's tough.

Yet something I realized this weekend? I actually enjoy editing video.

The people closest to me might find that shocking. I've gripped so much over the past few years. I've finally gotten to the point where I understand what I want and need to do. Perhaps I've developed a critical eye for video editing. Who knows, except that I really enjoyed cutting the trailer this weekend.

To wake up early and edit video while the world keeps sleeping is really satisfying. To watch the same thing over and over and over again might drive others mad, but I've been doing that for years. Just ask my college roommates.

There's something about editing video that I find really pleasing.

No comments: