Monday, March 8, 2010

The Hurt Locker

War films have been an informal bit of research for me while working on Abandoned Allies.  I like to study the them to see how characters and the subject matter are portrayed.  There is much more to war than politics, soldiers, equipment and death.  War has unseen scars in place far away from the battle fields.

When The Hurt Locker came out on DVD, I was excited about watching it. A lot has been written about the film, so I'll leave you to Google the reviews and read the words of critics who cover it much more eloquently than I ever will do here.  I will, however, simply say that it was a fine film and I enjoyed it very much.

It was only after watching the film and enjoying it a lot, that I found out a bit of the Hollywood story behind the film. Last night the Oscars aired.  The Hurt Locker won six Oscars, including best director and best picture.  This is the first time a woman has received an Oscar for best director.

There are too many thoughts and opinions to share about this here, but let me simply say how much I wish Bigelow a personal congratulations.  It's delightful to see a woman make a film about war, a great one, and to see it celebrated in such fashion last night.

No comments: