Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, Doc!

Happy birthday, Surry!


Today is a very special birthday for my friend, mentor and executive producer, Surry.  We met many years ago, when he was kind enough to give me a summer job while I was in college.  Since then, Surry has taught me so many life lessons.  He's provided wisdom, encouragement, stern talking to's that keep me in line, and more.

Surry served in Vietnam during the war as a medic.  I'm told that the medics were in short order, which meant they worked like dogs and slept very little.  If the medics were sleeping, people were dying.  Yet he's remained very humble about it all.  Other people tell me about the great things he did in Vietnam and all of the things he continues to do today.  I've been very lucky to witness some of that first hand, too.

Surry's a kindred spirit, interested in so many different things.  He's not afraid to try his hand at something new, whether it's surfing, teaching people about medicine, hiking to mountain tops, opening new businesses or traveling abroad.  He's generous with his time, advice and encouragement.  He's the type of guy you want to write an autobiography (uhem: hint, hint).

I hope that today is a delightful day for you, Surry!  Keep on making the world a better place.

No comments: