Monday, February 8, 2010

The Short Circuit Film Festival


On Saturday I was lucky enough to attend The Short Circuit Film Festival at The Clayton Center, just a few miles outside of Raleigh, N.C. They showed 12 films, many of which I really enjoyed. The Clayton Center is wonderful, too.

After the films were shown Todd Tinkham shared a preview of his film Southland of the Heart. Then three of us--Todd Tinkham, Ken Peterson and yours truly--were invited to talk on a filmmaker's panel, taking questions from the audience. After the panel discussion, a number of us went to dinner just down the street at Mulberry on Main.

It was such a wonderful afternoon/evening! I am so honored to have been on a panel with Todd and Ken. They had wonderful things to share about their filmmaking careers and lessons learned. After having worked on Abandoned Allies for so long, it was a delight to listen to fellow filmmakers talk about their current projects and the challenges they've faced. It seems small, but it's quite rewarding to nod your head when a fellow filmmaker talks about a similar challenge--especially where I am right now as a first time filmmaker.

One of the questions was about the difference in the industry here versus somewhere like Hollywood. Honestly, I haven't lived there, so I cannot make a direct comparison, but I must say that I am in love with the filmmaking community here in North Carolina. It's a small-town feel, where people are willing to lend a hand one each other's projects to help everyone more forward together. The process of making a great film--the journey--is the fun part. Sharing it with people afterwards and perhaps getting paid to make another one? That's icing on the cake.

Those that planned the event, Heidi Stump and Jessica Hammettand did a wonderful job. I am also a big fan of Lisa Sullivan, who introduced me to the festival. My thanks goes out to all three of them for giving me such a wonderful Saturday!

Links

No comments: