Monday, November 12, 2012

Veterans Day (Observed)

Today is the observance of Veterans Day.

To all those whom serve and have served, I'd like to share my deepest appreciation. Even if we've never met, I want you to know that I appreciate all that you've been through. You've sacrificed and suffered, enduring things I may never hear about or understand.

Because of you, your service, and your sacrifice, I'm at liberty to do many simple things on a daily basis. Things you may have only dreamt about while you were deployed. Things like talk to my loved ones, sleep in a comfortable bed, or take a warm shower. I'm free to dream of limitless possibilities and a brighter future.

I live in the land of the free because of you. Last Tuesday, I walked up to the polls to cast a ballot--without fear--to vote for the people I believed in. I wasn't worried about being abused, hurt, or killed when I voted. I knew that I could vote safely.

Our democracy isn't perfect, but you defend it with your life. You fight to protect the men and women serving alongside you--no matter where they're from or what they look like. You have given so much, and you continue to give long after you've retired from the service.

You amaze me.

There are so many ways I want to thank you, but they all seem small and insignificant. When I see you in uniform at the airport, I may be too chicken to walk up to you and say thanks directly, so I might buy your lunch anonymously. I hope you're OK with that. I'm not as brave as you are. I worry that I might not sound genuine when I say, "Thank you for your service."

Thank you for all that you have done--and continue to do--for this country and its people. You may not know me, but I appreciate all that you've done. I will never be able to thank you enough. I hope that I can find a way to show how much I mean it.

Know that you are loved. I may not know your story, but I long to hear it. I may not even know you, but I love you. Thank you. A thousand times, thank you.

No comments: