Thursday, June 2, 2011

Running for the Sake of Sanity

Running is my zen. It gives me the time to be free of the computer, phone, and all forms of communication. It's my time for exercise and play with my dog. It's a chance to think through all that weighs on my mind, work through the problems, and reflect on the day--no matter whether it's coming or going. It keeps me in shape, helps me sleep better, and makes me a happier,  healthier person.

In short, I run for the sake of my sanity.

The heat was always coming, and I knew that. I was just in denial about it, hoping for a few more weeks of running in the sunshine with my dog. It's North Carolina. The South. It gets hot here, and we all know it. So, yeah, the heat was always on its way.

These past few days of 90+ degree weather have nearly driven me crazy, though. Not because of the heat. I love summer and the warmth it brings. But with it comes dehydration and heat stroke when trying to run several miles. Those are fairly serious problems to face, and I'd rather avoid them if I can.

So, I guess it's back to searching for a gym before I pass out while running. I'm trying to be optimistic about it, but I would rather be outside running any day than in a gym. Bleh. Oh well, maybe I can find one with a pool so I can swim laps. That'd be nice.

This clip from What Women Want has stuck with me, even though the movie isn't one of my favorites. It's a great commercial and the stuff he says really speaks to how I feel about running. It's quite nice. Enjoy: http://youtu.be/QyO6ayCb5rE

Stay safe, folks. It's hot out there, as you know. 

No comments: