Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mirrors and Mondays

Yesterday I broke a mirror. According to superstition, I'll have another seven years of bad luck ahead of me. Yet today I woke up feeling like one of the luckiest girls in the world because of the work I'm doing and the people helping me do it.

My Monday was absolutely amazing. I had lunch with a fella that lives with his wife in Charlotte. They are friends with a group of Montagnards in the area. He is totally amped up about how to make positive change happen, and we chatted about all the possibilities. I'm looking forward to getting to know this new friend, and sharing the film with his community when we're ready.

Yesterday I also met with my marketing communications team. Meetings like that make me so happy. The smart, talented and enthusiastic people helping with the film just ... well, ... amazes me to no end. I'm so honored to be working with these smart, smart friends.

There are about seven people helping me with this phase of the project, and that's just the start. I'm hoping that the team will continue to grow since everyone is volunteering, and time is a very precious thing. I hate for anyone to be stretched too thin on a project that is not paying the bills for any of us. There is a sweet spot for a volunteer where the altruistic reasons for helping stay balanced with the hard work and time invested. One of my goals is to keep everyone in that sweet spot so they enjoy what they're doing, and so they keep doing their best work.

Last night the marcomm group watched the first 25 minutes of the film, gave me some feedback, and then chatted about our next steps. My mind has been totally occupied with post-production, so having this group help us move the project forward is outstanding. They have a marketing communications plan, and together we'll all make it happen. I can't wait!

The end of the evening included a phone call with a fellow video editor who is helping me craft our trailer. He's been working on it for a while now, and we'll meet again today to go over the changes needed. It's great to have someone helping with those efforts while I finish the film itself.

Other great things are taking shape, too. There are two or three speaking opportunities coming up, where I'll get to share more about Abandoned Allies with new audiences. We will share a few minutes of the film, too, which should be incredibly exciting.

Stay tuned...more to come, my friends.

No comments: