Monday, August 11, 2008

More Filming

Had lunch with Lap on Friday, talked about how to teach his son his language. He's passionate about preserving his language and culture, something I can relate to completely. I am from Eastern NC and have very little of that accent left according to some folks. An Englishman said I sounded like a Yankee last month, others have said I sound Canadian. Anyway, I can relate to the importance of preserving one's family history and culture. I hope I can help out in some way (somewhat selfishly so that I can learn the language, too).

He allowed me the honor of filming his sister's wedding that Saturday. It was a Montagnard-American wedding led by a Spanish-speaking pastor. Very cool. The bride and groom kept thanking me, telling me that it was such a blessing. I'm looking forward to giving them the edited copy as soon as I get the chance.

We're filming another interview tomorrow. Transcriptions are in progress, as is digitizing of tapes. It's been very cool to have the work continue while I rested up (I slept 10 hours on Saturday night and woke up at 5:30am on Sunday confused about what day it was!). There's much to be done, and the pressure's on to keep it going. I think we can, I think we can, I think we can!

No comments: