Thursday, June 19, 2008

Revisiting

When Surry and I first started this project in March, he gave me great resources. I absorbed as much as I could, wanting to go into the interviews as well educated as possible so I could ask the right questions. But look back on it now, I realize that very little of that sank in while I was removed from it. This past weekend was such a milestone that I have revisited the material he shared with me from the get-go. And, it has such a greater impact now!

This week I rewatched two videos Surry loaned me, which are both Kay Reibold productions (one of which is from 1991). It has been very helpful to return to these so that I can compare and contrast our project. The videos are a great summary of things that I have learned since March, and seeing them on tape as a cohesive 30-minute program is valuable.

And my how the times have changed, too! So much of filmmaking, marketing, communications and media has changed; I'm excited about the potential this film can reach and the positive changes that might happen as a result.

For so long I have been wanting to work on a film project that will lead to positive change. It almost seems to easy to have had this one find me. Each step along the way has been ... destined? No, maybe not destined, but it feels choreographed because the journey has been so easy, I suppose.

Usually, one has to do much research. I have been so lucky that the people I am interviewing offer me gifts of research: books, photos, videos, letters, and more. I have been showered with the information I need to make this the best film possible with the resources we have available to make a documentary ourselves. It's incredible!!

And, I don't take for granted, not for a second, the importance of the way this journey has unfolded thus far. I recognize that, without Surry's leadership and encouragement, this would certainly not be a possibility. Everyone that finds out about this project says I am so lucky to have a mentor like him. I concur! The only reason this project is unfolding this way is because of the great strides he has taken for more than 7 or 8 months before I came along, not to mention the great passion he has for the Montagnard people.

When I awoke this morning, the gentle golden sunshine poured through my white blinds and cast the most beautiful shapes on the hard wood floor. It was as if I woke up again for the first time. Thankful to wake up in my own house, in my own bed, knowing that I have a great job to report to as soon as possible.

These past few days have been incredibly humbling, and I am looking forward to what is to come next. There is much work to be done, and I am anxious to keep moving full speed ahead! My mind jumps forward to screening events where fund raising might be possible. I have a lot of ideas in my head and can't wait to make them come to life.

Thanks to everyone who's reading this and sharing your support. If, family and friends, you prefer not to get this blog by email, just let me know and I'll remove your address from the subscription list! Your insights and support have been priceless thus far. Thank you!

No comments: